How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7258
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

We need to dispute our credit report as a utility provider

This answer was rated:

We need to dispute our credit report as a utility provider has marked us as default after we moved. We requested a copy of the bill and it took months for them to eventually send it. Once we received it we tried to pay and we were told that it had been written off and we couldn't pay it.The question is. Should we write the dispute letter and post it to Experian the credit bureau or send it to the creditor? Or to both? Also, should we dispute first and inform we are happy to pay. Or try and settle the amount first then send the dispute?We are trying to remortgage and this is holding us back. We have no other credit problems or accounts. Thanks

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

What steps have you taken so far?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks JamieI've drafted the letter but took no action so far.

thanks. You should write and ask them to correct it, or say you will go to Court.

If they fail to do so then you can issue processings to get the default removed.

Section 14 of the Data Protection Act 1998 states

If a court is satisfied on the application of a data subject that personal data of which the applicant is the subject are inaccurate, the court may order the data controller to rectify, block, erase or destroy those data and any other personal data in respect of which he is the data controller and which contain an expression of opinion which appears to the court to be based on the inaccurate data.

You can make an application using form n208

The court will set the matter down and decide whether to order it is corrected and or removed.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer. Thanks!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi. Thank you, ***** ***** you answer the other questions.Should we send the letter to the creditor, the credit bureau or both?Also, should we pay the amount first or dispute it first and then pay?

Just creditor. You should dispute it first if it’s a genuine dispute. If you accept it, then pay first and then deal with process for removal.

Does that clarify?

Jamie-Law and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
that's great thank you