How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7285
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

Trying to submit small claims against my landlord for damage

This answer was rated:

Trying to submit small claims against my landlord for damage incurred by recent burglary under his negligence. Just wondering if below makes a strong case.
Front door lock broken in July, informed landlord but no follow up from him. There are histories of burglary next door in recent months. All tenants are aware of the door so always ensured that it's properly locked when leaving.
House broken into in September when all tenants were not at home, but landlord entered to fix leaking in bathroom without informing tenants. Front door still broken so easy to be left open unintentionally. No trace of force entry on any doors after burglary.
Inconsistency between statements given by landlord, claimed that he entered the house on Wednesday and suspected a break-in but only informed us on Thursday. (proof by text messages) However, his initial message to inform about burglary claims that he entered and found the mess on Thursday.
Our suspicions are that landlord came in to fix the shower (without informing) and forgot to lock the door properly. Hence giving a chance to an opportunist to enter the house freely.
Unfortunately there was no cctv footage to prove any entries to the property.
Please advise. Thanks.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

How much is it you are seeking to claim please?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
About £3500

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer. Thanks!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can I get an advice on whether my logical assumptions (with little proof) will be strong enough to make a case against the landlord? Don't want to spend too much time and money if they won't be useful when presented to Court for judgement. Thank you

Yes I think you have an arguable claim.

All you need to show is that, on balance, your claim is correct.

Does that clarify?

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That helps a lot thank you!

All the best

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Should I only include claims on items with proof of purchase only? I wasn't able to retrieve all the receipts as some items are couple years old.

Anything you have, to include.