How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12179
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My father died in August, survived by my mother. The house

This answer was rated:

My father died in August, survived by my mother. The house was in his name only and my father left all his assets to my mother in his will. Is there any problem with her name not being on deeds (she's not named as a tenant)? We want to get the property transferred to her name. Thanks

Thanks for your question. Because your father was the sole owner and because he left his whole estate to your mother, what will happen is that once the solicitor acting for the executor obtains probate, he will then be in a position to register the title to the house in your mother’s sole name. So your mother isn’t on the deeds at the moment but the probate will form a link in title between you father’s name and that of your mother. The solicitor will have to deal with the transaction as it is something which requires specific knowledge of Property Law. Happy to discuss. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that JustAnswer credits me for my time.

JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you