How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6447
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I am looking for a solicitor who can deal with my energy

Customer Question

hi I am looking for a solicitor who can deal with my energy bill from Scottish power
Assistant: Where are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: West London
Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I have a letter from Scottish Power saying they going toregister a defaut notice
Assistant: Anything else you want the solicitor to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes, the bill relates to a property that I have never owned or lived at, however Scottish power claim that I am the owner and have to pay it
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Can you please explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
hi Jamie. sorry for the long story, My name is***** have lived at*****in Southall, Middlesex from birth until 1993, and then*****from 1993 up until November 2015, i was a Scottish power customer for around 5 years from 2007 to 2012 for both the 42 and*****houses which belong to my parents, they are right next door to each other. I bought a property*****Southall jointly with my father as a buy to let in 2008 and this was let until May 2015. from May 2015 i started to renovate*****and in Novermber 2015 i moved in with ,my wife and child.I started getting gas bills from Scottish power in September 2016 for a property in Nottingham. this bill was being sent to my*****address, any way I phoned them and advised that I live at***** and I have no links to this Nottingham property and have lived and worked in Southall all my life. Scottish power then investigated done a land registry search and found that the property in Nottingham belongs to Mr Ajay Verma, i.e. another Ajay Verma. however even though I have told them that this is not me they continue to harass me over it. I went to the property and was told by people living in the house that the landlord is Ajay Verma.
they advised that the land lord is Asian and overweight around 5ft 10", and has full head of hair, it sounds funny well luckily I have a bald head and am only 9 stone in weight. I asked Scottish power to reinvestigate this but they have refused, i now have to make another trip to Nottingham to try and find more info like a landlord address. this is just ridiculus that just because I was a Scottish power customer they have assumed because of the name that i am responsible for a gas bill at a property in Nottingham.I have contacted the energy ombudsman and they just advised Scottish power to do a land registry check and this showed that Another Ajay Verma owns the Nottingham property, but I have asked them to provide a signed electricity contract or some proof that I have signed it but they have not provided a thing, and are clueless about who the actual landlord is. I am really concerned as Scottish power will soon be register a default notice against me with credit reference agencies for a debt that I never caused and there could be more in the future. could you assist?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 months ago.

So what is it you want to achieve? Get a new and correct bill?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
well scottish power should bill the person who owns or occupied and consumed the gas at the nottingham property, at the moment the owner of that property in nottingham shares my name and scottish power claim that its me
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 months ago.

What you need to do is write and say want the bill sent to you declared void otherwise you will go to Court.

If they refuse then you can issue proceedings using form N208:

The court will issue a claim and a copy will be sent to the power provider.

The matter will be set down for a hearing and a Judge will decide whether to declare your bill void.

The Court can also make an order they dont record a default.

If they do they could be in contempt of Court which they may be warned, fined or sent to prison.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer. Thanks!

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 months ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the bottom of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! Thank you.