How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6453
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I purchased a campervan with my partner ( he has a wife) he

Customer Question

I purchased a campervan with my partner ( he has a wife) he has now died and she is keeping his set of keys although he told me that he has no financial interest in the van anymore. He said I can have the van.all paperwork and receipt is in my name . Log book ECT. There is no paperwork of financial commit ment in is name. Can I ask the police to get keys to me on the intent to deprive ( theft). She knew we were having a 4 year relationship.
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

On what basis have the keys been kept?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She's expecting some money although he to told me no money as required. I told her this . I have politely requested the keys 3 times.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm not paying anymore I paid 47.00 already . Just to be asked another question . If I have to pay continually I would like my money back and I'll go else where as I haven't actually received advice . Just a request for more money.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 months ago.

Sorry I was just in Court.

Ok. You need to ask for it back or say you will get a court order.

If she refuses then you can issue a claim.

You need to complete form N208:

The court will set the matter down and decide whether to order the keys.

If the Court does and she refuses, this is contempt of Court which she may be warned, fined or sent to prison.

You can try the Police, but they are likely to say that this is a civil matter.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer. Thanks!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't understand why the police won't deal with this it is intent to deprive . Thus is the definition of theft . And court costs more money.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 months ago.

They may just see it as a civil matter.

You can complain to the Chief Constable. But all that time, the clock is ticking.....

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No not really I carnt see how they can justify a 47 .00 fee for that information . It says if not satisfied request a refund.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 months ago.

You asked what to do.

The Police wont take action as they will say its civil. You can try but you cant force the Police.

I then outlined the civil route and what to do.

What else do you want to know?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Why does it class as a civil matter . Someone has some property which is mine . All paperwork receipt in my name There for my property so what makes it civil .
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 months ago.

Yes, but you can not force the Police to act. This is a civil dispute - you say its yours, they want money for it. That is why I have said, if the Police dont take it serious then complain to the Chief Constable.

But even after that, if the Police dont do anything, then the only option is Court.

I am sorry if its not the answer you want, nor the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.