How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49837
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I had a kitchen fitted by Wickes in March of this year.

Customer Question

I had a kitchen fitted by Wickes in March of this year. Within 4 weeks there was a fault under the sink which caused a leak. The insinkarater that was installed did not fit the sink. It fell off and water was everywhere. The units were water damaged and had to be replaced. They put the insinkarater back in place not realising it did not fit. Again it fell off causing more damage, more units were replaced. I have been left with a bucket under my sink collecting the water that drains which I'm having to empty regularly. The insinkarater is hanging by the electric wire that has been disconnected fortunately. The firm they sent to do repairs where not qualified electricians and surged the electrics and we had no power for a day. I have spent hours on the phone trying to resolve this problem. I finally got through to someone in the head office who informs me they have no fitters to correct the problems I have. I've been told to find an independent fitter. I'm only giving you the short version of events as there are other problems in the kitchen. I feel now is the time to seek advise as I'm not getting anywhere with Wickes. I saved up for this kitchen and as you can imagine I'm very dissapointed. Hope you can help. Jill Bull
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 months ago.

Based on the issues you have described, what are you ideally hoping for so that I can look into your options?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I would like my kitchen finished and compensation for the unprofessional work carried out by Wickes.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I didn't realise the money you have already taken from my account does not give any advice and I have to pay a further £44.00 to proceed.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 months ago.

Hi there not sure why you thought that the initial fee does not cover my answer – it certainly does. The extra fee is for a phone call which you do not have to take up. So it just means we proceed on here in wrIting instead.

When a person enters into a contract for work and materials, where the main focus is labour and skill, the Consumer Rights Act 2015 says that the work must be:
• Carried out with reasonable care and skill (to the same standard as any reasonably competent person in that trade or profession)
• Finished within a reasonable time (unless a specific time frame has been agreed)
• Provided at a reasonable cost (unless a specific price has been agreed)

In addition, any information exchanged in communications between the parties, whether written or verbal, is binding if the consumer relies on it. This will include quotations and any promises about timescales or the results to be achieved.

If there are problems with any of the above, the customer will have certain rights:

Substandard work - the trader should either redo the parts of the work which are inadequate or perform the whole service again at no extra cost to the customer. This must be done within a reasonable time and without causing significant inconvenience. If this is not possible, you can claim a price reduction, based on the severity of the issues. If they simply refuse to resolve the issues, you can consider getting someone else to rectify the issues and either deduct these costs from the total owed to the original trader, or pursue them for any extra costs that have been incurred.
In order to resolve any problems that have arisen, it is generally recommended that the following steps are followed:

1. Collect all documents relating to the work (e.g. quote, contract, correspondence, etc.).
2. Contact the trader and explain your problem. Ask them to return to fix the issues and set a reasonable time limit for them to respond (7 days is reasonable).
3. In the meantime find out if the trader is a member of a trade association with a mediation service that can help resolve the complaint.
4. If the matter is still not resolved, write to the trader repeating your complaint and how you would like them to resolve the issues. Say you are giving them a final time limit of 7 days to resolve the problem or you will have to consider taking legal proceedings to recover your losses and any additional costs.
5. If the trader fails to respond or refuses to resolve the problem, you could potentially get a different trader to complete the work and consider suing the original trader for all or part of these extra costs. Remember that court is a last resort, however it can be a good negotiating tool because it shows you are serious about resolving this and may prompt the trader to reconsider their position.
6. Finally, make sure that you send all correspondence by recorded delivery and keep copies.

Please take a quick second to leave a positive rating for the service so far by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above. I can continue answering follow up questions and in particular can also discuss the rights you have on taking this further in the event the matter remains unresolved. There is no extra cost for this - leaving your rating now will not close the question and means we can still continue this discussion. Thank you

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for you response and information. I couldn’t go anywhere on my pc other than press the £44. Which I was a bit confused with. I will follow your advice and hopefully get this resolved.
Thank you.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 months ago.

you are most welcome and do get back to me if needed