How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71051
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I made a statement two months ago after a domestic incident

Customer Question

HI, I made a statement two months ago after a domestic incident and my partner has been to court but now I realise I was drunk and I would like to make a second statement is this possible. They has said they made a mistake with his sentencing and he needs to go back to court and I would like for the real information to be made about that evening. Is this possible?
Assistant: Where are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes all filed and reported and court case completed and sentencing and he is doing year of courses with probation officer but not they are asking him to sign a two year sentence as thats how long the course is and to sign a sex offender register. I realise now I was drunk that night and my account of events isn't right and he should have this.
Assistant: Anything else you want the solicitor to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not sure what is relelvent OKthanks
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I know it might not change anything but I just don't think its fair for hm to go through this. In my statement I said it started with him wanting sex but that wasn't the main part and now I release I was drunk and it was me that wanted the sex. It's affecting his life completely. He took the sentencing as accepted the criminal damages but it was never about sex and that has become the main thing.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 months ago.

Have you done this before?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No never
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have never had any dealings with police and Im 44
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 months ago.

You can make a second statement.

However, if he has pleaded guilty or been convicted then it doesn't matter what you do. The issue is that he has been convicted either by plea or conviction.

The only way to avoid this is not to make reports to the police arising from personal disputes.

You can always add any new information in a victim impact statement although the whole thing can be avoided by not involving the police at all.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 4 months ago.
please. The issue is that he was put on a years worth of building better relationships course 29 hours which it turns out is actually a two year course in reality and they are trying to get this changed in the courts even though sentencing has been done for one year. How can they do this in hindsight? Also as part of the course he needs to sign something that means if he ever has a relationship in next 2 years he will need to let police know and this was never mentioned at sentencing. Im just not sure where we stand with changing sentence length post court decision is this possible?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 months ago.

How long ago was he sentenced?