How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71053
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have reported domestic violence and do not wish to

Customer Question

I have reported domestic violence and do not wish to continue with proceedings against my partner he has previous convictions (not dv ) and would see a long jail sentence we have 6 week old twins who would miss out on there father bringing them up he's an amazing dad what would happen to me if I retracted the statement as I do not feel saying I don't support the case is enough
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 months ago.

Hi have you reported to police before this time please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This is the only time it's ever happened and I've made a statement I've never reported him for anything before
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Also I've been to the Dr's and I've got postnatal depression and I had it before this happened
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have tried to amend and retract the statement al ready and was told social services will take the children the police have a long history with my partner and are keen to prosecute by any means
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 months ago.

yes, they will. Now you have reported this there is no way out.

Are you wiling to risk issues with social services?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't want social services taking the kids cause of this I love my kids more than anything and even the social services have commented on what a good mum i am but I don't want him going to prison I don't see what my best option is
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 months ago.

To be honest, you can only really do damage limitation here.

The only way to avoid this was not to report it.

Social services will have an interest if you don't support the prosecution.

I don't know whether he would go to prison. It depends on what allegation you have made. Now you have done this though there is no way out without social services interest in the children.

Can I clarify anything for you?