How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

What can be done when a neighbour refuses to keep a

Customer Question

What can be done when a neighbour refuses to keep a Leyllandii hedge - under dispute since 2015 - to within a workable height? He refuses to enter mediation with my neighbours and me; refuses to even look at the impact of his 24' hedge on the 2 properties affected by it and has stated in writing that it can legally be up to 5 metres in height. He claims he reduced it by half in 2016 and that's as far as he's willing to go. That's not the case. About 7' was taken off the top of the then 30' high hedge but very little was taken off the sides and the hedge has since grown both up and out to become an inverted triangle that blocks light from 2 properties and views from my neighbours property.The council charge £550 for making a ruling under The Antisocial Behaviour Act 2003 and even then there is no guarantee the complaint will be upheld.Both my neighbours and I would like a resolution to this issue so we can improve our respective rear spaces. Could we go directly to a small claims court without involving a reluctant council in this?
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Have you reported anything to the Council?