How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34898
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My surname changed when I was a child from one on my birth

Customer Question

Hi, my surname changed when I was a child from one on my birth certificate (mother got married) and I took her new name on, but this was never done via dipole and after a big family fallout along time and the birth of my child (14 years ago) I wanted him to have the same surname as me, when I looked into changing back to my original name (as on birth certificate) I realised it was never changed legally so reverting back to my original name was fairly easy, i know have looked into some shares I own from 20+ years ago and my other name is ***** ***** How do I go about getting proof that I'm the same person as all my legal documents support my name I've got now. Sorry this is really complicated
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've been in touch with the shared company and they have asked for a letter from my bank to confirm I'm the same person or from a solicitor. I'm unable to contact the bank as they only know me with my current surname.. is there no way this can be confirmed throw my N.I number as it will be the same number throughout my whole working life, the company I'm dealing with apparently don't have access to this information.
Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

For clarity - you had the same NI number held in both names is that correct?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
that's Correct
Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.

Can you find any evidence of that - old payslips etc?

Have you asked the DWP to confirm this

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Claire, I haven't got any wage slips from when I was using my previous name as it was along time ago and moved a good few times, will the DWP be able to help ? Never thought of that.. how would I go about contacting them?
Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.

You can contact the tax office

The other option is a rather ridiculous one of creating a change of name deed (free template here to show the change of name.

You can then destroy it afterwards

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Clare, thanks very much for your help, just wandering if you re-send the second link, when I opened it it's just stating a error.Many thanks
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The change of name deed template was the one I was unable to open
Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.

try this