How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6447
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I moved into a property two weeks ago under a short hold

Customer Question

i moved into a property two weeks ago under a short hold tenancy. THe front and rear garden were not completed in time for our move in date - they were supposed to be fixed and usable whereas they are currently not. Having moved in I am now informed that we have to wait until almost February before we can use the garden again whereby turf will be laid. I have insisted that a rent amendment be made until such times as we have full use of the property. THe land lady has proposed a rent reduction of 50 out of a monthly rent of 1150. I am furious and want to know where I stand please as the agency and the Landlady seem to be taking a complete liberty as I am already in here.
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When we took the keys the agency informed us the landlady had found a company to do the work and that it would start in the next week or two. THe agency have now handed us over to the residential property management side of the business who are now playing hardball, don't care about our situation as we are now moved in and seem to be listening purely to the landlady in terms of urgency and priority. Meanwhile we have been infiormed that work on the garden wont start until december and the garden wont be turfed until some time in January. We have a cat who is not allowed in the garden as per the recommendations of the agency because it needs to be weeded industrially, and then in January it will be turfed so my family and I cannot use the garden until the best part of February. THeir offer of fifty pounds per month to compensate is an insult and would never have been agreed upon signing.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
from the agency: Good Afternoon,
Please note, Mrs Curtis has offered the £50.00 reduction per month, not per week.
Unfortunately Mrs Curtis would not be willing to consider a higher reduction, she feels that £50.00 per month is adequate considering it was not agreed that the garden works would be completed prior to you moving in to the property and she has provided you with a time frame for the works.
Should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the work was promised upon point of signing and she is now moving the time frames to coincide with rent payments.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

What is it you want to achieve please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I want a satisfactory rent reduction given that we were told all the time that the garden was due to be completed by our move in date of 27/10/17. As it wasn't done by move in date we were told that it would commence imminently. Having taken the keys, and having been moved on from the agents that do all the schmoozing to the residential management side of the property who seem to only want to play hardball on behalf of the lanloady, they seem completely uninterested in our situation and we are now looking at February until we have safe access to our gardens. Please advise me of my rights. The landlady appears unwilling to make a reasonable offer and is hiding behind what she is saying that she gave no time frames. I would not have taken his property if I had known it would take three months before we could use the garden which is a significant feature of the house and one of the main reasons for taking it..
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
is this call feature an additional 44 pounds or just increases costs TO 44 pounds?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
hello? please confirm :)
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 months ago.

Sorry I was just in Court. If you want a call its an extra cost, or we can keep it online for the same fee.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Keep online at this point please
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
when can I expect a response?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 months ago.

Forgive me, I was just on the way back from Court.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a rent reduction or compensate within 14 days or say will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer. Thanks!