How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10944
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

Our Accountant has made an error - and admitted it - in my

Customer Question

Our Accountant has made an error - and admitted it - in my husbands accounts for the last 3 years and now we are looking at having to pay a bill of over £10k - they are refusing to compensate only pay the fines and interest - we always save for tax but this will put us in debt and I dont believe we shoul have to cover this - they are a big company and will have insurance for this kind of thing - where can I get help re this ?
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 4 months ago.

1. Dear Customer, in these circumstances, you should see a High Street solicitor and get legal proceedings issued for negligence against the accountants. Essentially, the error amounts to negligence on the part of the accountants. Unless they are willing to compensate you, then you have to sue them for negligence. It is true that all accountants carry professional indemnity insurance. However, in your situation, the accountants seem to be paying the fines and interest themselves and not putting their insurers on notice. So, if you want compensation, you are going to have to sue for it.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 4 months ago.

2. Please Rate or accept the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website for answering your question.