Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

My tenant overflowed the bathroom whilst bath was filling up

My tenant overflowed the bathroom whilst bath was filling up from the shower head and caused damage to both the ground floor and basement flats below. This was concluded by the property managers on the day of the incident as my tenants called in to report it. My tenants are now denying it. I am the leasholder and the property management company said that this will not be covered by the freeholders building insurance and that I will have to pay for the damages. They estimated the repairs to 6000-9000£ but haven't not sent anything in writing yet. Neither the builder's report nor cost assessment. I complained that this was a lot of money and that the flat below had been in very poor state for years. They now say they are going to send a loss adjustor to look at the flat below. What action should I take as I feel everyone is pointing at me when I actually haven't done anything! My tenants are now saying they do not want any responsibility as some of the grout joints in the bathroom was broken and they couldn't switch the tap to bath position and therefore had to fill up the bath with the shower head. After the incident I asked the property managers to investigate further but as soon as they heard that all aspects of plumbing were OK in my bathroom they concluded to a bath overflow and sent the paperwork before further investigations. Am I really liable? What actions can I take to resolve this? Or shall I just pay what they ask for the repairs?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you,

Do you or the landlord have insurance?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The freeholder does and We leasholder pay for it every year
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello Jamie, would you kindly let me know your thoughts please?

Sorry I was just still in Court. Let me know when is good to call.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Great no worries! Anytime between now and 21:30 is a good time if not too late for you?
Jackie

Sorry. Shall we say tomorrow?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
please

or if you prefer tonight I can do in the next 15 min,

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok for next 15 minutes then! Many thanks

Excellent.