How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7258
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I am in dispute with my Property Management Company as they

This answer was rated:

I am in dispute with my Property Management Company as they have failed to resolve a complaint regarding rubbish/items being constantly dropped from Juliette balconies above me. I am on the ground floor and my French doors open onto the outside area. These objects include beer bottles, drinking glasses, cutlery, blocks of ice, food, wrapping, cigarette butts, a dumb bell, a metal pole, and anything else the people above choose to throw over the balcony. My initial complaint was in June to which I did not received a satisfactory reply to so I stopped my Service charge in protest. I have written a letter of complaint and they have said they are not responsible for the area in question and therefore cannot be held accountable. They have said it falls under Waterways to which they have said they have forwarded on my complaint onto, this was over a week ago and I have had no acknowledgemet. I have however now received a letter from a debt recovery agency asking for arrears and also adding on a further £250 charge on the arrears. I am at my wits end and do not know where to turn to in order to get this problem resolved. Why should I be the one to suffer from someone else's in ability to dispose of their rubbish properly. I even stated the Health and safety Act 1974 to them in relation to me or a member of my family stepping out of my French doors only to be hit on the head by who know's what causing injury. They are just not interested. I would be really grateful if you could give me some advice as to where I stand. My property is privately owned however I am aware that there are some housing association/council tenants in some of the properties on this particular development.Many thanks.
Toni Cole

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Does your lease say you are able to withhold payment?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Probably not i need to dig out my paperwork. It was stopped in protest as they didnt resolve my initial complaint in June. In hind sight i probably should have paid a percentage of it and i accept the fact it has to be paid. What i dont accept is no-one will take responsibility for the continual rubbish situation.

Then sadly you are liable for the Solicitor costs. I suspect the lease says you can stop payment, which means you are in breach of the lease.

You can sue for breach in terms of the rubbish etc. But you cant stop the payment because you have a lease which says you cant.

I can outline the steps if you wish to take action against them?

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want, nor the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No...its fine. There's not a lot i can do is there that's not going to cost me money. Yet again the honest hard working people who own their properties lose out to the dregs of society who are on benefit and have no respect for their neighbours.

Indeed, I couldn't agree more. All the best. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face at the top of the screen, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. It is also an important part of the online process. Thank you in advance and good luck!

Jamie-Law and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you