How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7049
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

Purchased unused 66 plate Renault on 4/9/17 from main

This answer was rated:

Purchased unused 66 plate Renault on 4/9/17 from main dealer. Dashboard fault appeared next day. Serviced 14/9/17 in the hope this would fix fault. Not fixed so booked in for day for filter change 6/11/17. Still not fixed so taken in 13/10/17 and its still there nearly 6 weeks later. In terms of the warranty at what point can I ask for money back/ new vehicle. If this happens can I also request compensation for cost of changing insurance and refitting of dashcam which came with insurance. Can I request like for like replacement vehicle or full refund and not be subject to depreciation.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

You can demand a refund under replacement under the Consumer Rights Act 2015

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer. Thanks!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm aware of the small claims court. But want to know my rights regarding warranty and what I can expect in return since I've only owned the vehicle for 12 weeks and 6 weeks of those it's been at the garage attempting to be fixed.

Yes you can. Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 you have 6 months to reject

Does that clarify?

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you