How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50702
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I signed up for a college called train4jobs 1 year ago and I

This answer was rated:

I signed up for a college called train4jobs 1 year ago and I want to cancell it, I didn't use the service at all during this period but they said that I had the first 21 days to cancell it and now I can't cancell.
My question is: what happens If I go to the bank and just cancel the direct debit?
I have paid nearly 2000£ already and I did nothing in the course.
What can I do?
Thank you very much!

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

How much do you still owe them?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello Ben, thank for getting back to me.
The total sum was 4900£ and I have paid nearly 2000.

So you are not looking to get back what you have already paid?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Depends on how difficult it will be and the options I have, but actually I just want to cancel it and stop paying that 125/month

Thanks. There is nothing stopping you from cancelling the DD but that will potentially place you in breach of contract. That is because you had signed up to the course, agreed to their terms and conditions and not cancelled within the time allowed. They are able to claim you have breached the agreement by cancelling outside of the cancellation window and not paying them any more for the course. However, if they were to claim over this they cannot just make a claim foe the full outstanding amount. They would not have suffered losses as high as that because they would have had to give you something in return in terms of materials, their time, etc. So it is only their profit margins hat they can realistically claim for, which won’t be near as high as the full amount due. Also it depends on whether they actually go to court over this as they may never do - you would only have to pay if they claim and win, and that is certainly not a given.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. So if they go to the court and win the claim I think that 2000 will potencially cover theyr profit right?
Do you think that the will ask for more than that?
Also, can I claim for my money back?
Another question, actually If have paid already 2000 £ and is very likely that don't worth it for them to go to the court right?
It’s difficult for me to comment on what their profit margins are going to be so I will have o try and avoid giving too many promises on what they can potentially recover. Whatever they try and claim from you they will have to justify it so it is not just a matter of them claiming from you they will still have to show that it is a reasonable request. It Will however be unlikely that you can also claim back the money you have already paid because at the very least that will cover their losses for the time to date and for the rest of the contract. But you are correct that they have already received some money from you so that could mean that they do not pursue you for any more because £2000 will cover quite a proportion of their losses so it might not be worth them going to court for more however only time will tell if that is the case. Hope this clarifies your position?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok Ben thank you very much, you are amazing.
I will go ahead and cancel the DD, anyway in the worst case scenario I will never pay the full amount so for me is the right move I will save money anyway right?
Just this answer and I'll give you the rating and close this thread.
No you are very unlikely to have to pay the full amount if you have not received anything in return
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you