How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7309
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I commenced a small claims court action against a defendant.

This answer was rated:

I commenced a small claims court action against a defendant. I withdrew the claim two weeks before the hearing because I was leaving the country at short notice for an indefinite period. I have now been billed by the defendant's lawyer in the sum of £757 for their costs. Should I not wait for the court's direction as to whether these costs should be paid by me?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will,.help you.

Technically no.

If you discontinue a claim you are liable for costs. But the costs can only be awarded by Court.

So they need to apply to Court for a hearing where they request you pay costs.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer. Thanks!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. The defendant's lawyers have sent the bill direct to me. The Court has not awarded costs at this point in time. Should I write and seek direction from the Court or just wait and see?

Just wait. They need to apply to Court. They should know that!

Does that clarify?

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you!