How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50707
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I hope you can point me in the right direction. In a

This answer was rated:

Hi - I hope you can point me in the right direction. In a nutshell, the cleaners I hired to do my end of tenancy clean havent actually cleaned (or at least, done a very poor job) and left the bathroom dirty after using the loo, and left the immersion heating on (which I didnt use). Luckily I have a good relationship with my landlord so I have some time to get this put right. Id at least like my money back from these 'cleaners', but I dont know where to start. What kind of right do I have in this situation? I can prove payment and have emails confirming what the job was. Thank you.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

How much were they paid?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
210 pounds
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
by bacs

Does the house still need cleaning or has it been sorted now?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No I had the message from my landlord tonight and she has sent some pics of the uncleaned areas. I dont know where to start to fix this.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
are you still there?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
hello? It has been about 20 mins since last answer - will you be emailing your advice or should I keep on the line here? Thanks

Sorry my connection dropped, I will just get my answer ready and reply shortly

But just to clarify - does the house still need cleaning? I couldn't understand from your previous message if that is the case or if the landlord has already cleaned it

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it does still need cleaning. they failed to clean it.

Ok great, thanks. In the circumstances the cleaners would be in breach of contract because they have failed to undertake the work they were required to and paid for. However, before you consider taking this why further in relation to trying to get some money back, you would be reasonably expected to give them the chance to rectify it first. So for example you need to ask them to come in end do the job properly and do do it within the time line given. If they refuse to do this that is when you can certainly consider taking it further to get some or all of your money back for breach of contract. Assuming they are not willing to refund you then you would be seeking to take this to the small claims court which is a relatively cheap and low risk option.

Please take a quick second to leave a positive rating for the service so far by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above. I can continue answering follow up questions and in particular can also discuss the steps you need to follow to initiate a claim. There is no extra cost for this - leaving your rating now will not close the question and means we can still continue this discussion. Thank you

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok that gives me a place to start thanks

Thank you. If you eventually have to pursue them it would be for compensation, for some or all of the money paid.

If a party wishes to pursue another for financial compensation arising out of a dispute between them, they can do so by making a claim in the civil courts. As legal action should ideally be used as a last resort, there are certain steps that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve lawyers or the courts. These can be summarised below and it is recommended the following procedure is followed to try and progress this matter further:

1. Reminder letter – if no informal reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the other party to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but have been ignored, the other party must be sent a formal ‘letter before action’ asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time, usually 7 to 14 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue them for the compensation in question. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed a copy will be sent to the other side and they will have a limited time to defend it. Once they are aware that legal proceedings have commenced it may also force them to reconsider their position and perhaps prompt them to contact you to try and resolve this.

As a final tip, it is always advisable to keep copies of any correspondence sent and received as the courts would like to refer to it if it ever gets that far.