How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50712
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I moved to Spain Dec 2016. My furniture has been in store

This answer was rated:

I moved to Spain Dec 2016. My furniture has been in store since then. The removals company have now sent an invoice for £10200 to bring to to my new home BUT their original quote was £5400. What can I do?
They have told me that this is because we used 9 containers and their quote was for 6. It seems as though they grossly underestimated.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

I presume they had the chance to see all the items you were moving before quoting?

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
they did. And I have a list of what he saw. The original quote was given in Jan 2016 because we thought we'd move then. But we didn't so I asked for an update and got the same quote in about May. Eventually we managed to sell and move and the same estimator told me (3 Nov 2016) it would be the same amount. In fact I'd thought it might be less because we had steadily been selling stuff on eBay (700 items actually!) in that year we were waiting to sell.

Thanks I will call shortly I just need to finish a meeting

Can’t hear you unfortunately when I call so I will just reply on here soon with the fuller details and if you have any questions please let me know

Hello again, I managed to get back in eventually :)

So going back to your query, when you pay them you should state something along the lines of “I am paying this amount in protest and only in order to be able to receive my property, which is in your possession. I absolutely do not agree with it and it is grossly different to what we had originally agreed for the services you provided. I therefore reserve my right to take this matter further in order to recover the difference which I have now been forced to pay”

In terms of pursuing this through the small claims court, you can do this by initiating the claim online at