How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35219
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My mother is in and out of care homes,she has available

This answer was rated:

My mother is in and out of care homes,she has available funds for approximately 12 more months. She owns 2 cottages in a village in Somerset, lives in one and my brother lives in the other, no rent is paid by him,indeed I paid no rent when I lived there before him. She approached her solicitor with a view to signing over this second cottage to myself,my brother and my sister. Her solicitor told her that it was not in her best interests to do this. Is there a reason for this???
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I do not know the value of the 2 properties. There is land in between and a right of way access that she has on another property. She is 75.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you

Doing this at this stage will not protect the second property in terms of Care Home fees as the Local authority will simply complete the assessment as though the property still belongs to her

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK. So we just do nothing? She has to use ALL of any proceeds from potential house sales and my brother could be made homeless to fund any future care home fees?