Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I was caught shoplifting this evening. No excuses and I got

I was caught shoplifting this evening. No excuses and I got off with a caution. The security guard is married to a colleague of mine. I have a good job and would be dismissed if it came to light. Is the security guard bound by data protection laws? In that he's not allowed to discuss what happened with his wife?

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks, I'm looking for a response to the question above
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't wish to call.

Sorry for some reason my initial query did not post. I was asking if details of this incident were written down by the shop at the time?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Data protection may be relevant here but it depends on what was written down. That is because data protection only related to personal data, which is data held on some filing system about an individual. So if they had written some information down and kept it on file, that is what would be protected, but as you can imagine there could be details not included in there which the security guard will not be prevented from discussing with anyone else. It would be the same as a stranger witnessing what happened then telling his friends down the pub about it. The guard can do exactly the same, as long as he is not disclosing information which was subsequently written down and stored by the shop.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you