Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

If I pay a person to do a job for me on say a house do I any

If I pay a person to do a job for me on say a house do I any legal liability as an employer

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Have you instructed this person to do the job on a private or commercial basis?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No the question is based on making a decision on which quote to accept, one with Employers liability and one without

OK, thank you for your response. Leave it with me for now and I will review the relevant information and laws and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Thanks for your patience. If you engage someone to do work for you, then you will only have employer's liability if they were your employee. It is highly unlikely that a contractor engaged to undertake work on your proper is your employee. They will be their own independent agent, someone who is not ployed by you under a contract of employment, but someone who simply provides their services to you. They will therefore be responsible for themselves and cannot claim against you if they do anything wrong or negligently. They can still hold you liable for personal injury caused through your own negligence but this applies to anyone really, whether they were contractors or employees.