How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6717
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I sold a car on 3 of september 2016 on sold as seen private

This answer was rated:

Hi there,I sold a car on 3 of september 2016 on sold as seen private sale bases, the buyer kept claiming for fault that the car had almost 8 month after that.the court has decided that I shall pay for the repair.please advise

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

I assume this was after a trial?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
1st I received a letter stating that this case has been defended to which I replied with my statement online and counterclaimed £500 for giving me stress.for that there was a trial on 6th december for some reason I thought it was 7th, I took a day off work to attent of the 7th, when I checked it was 6th, so I missed it.

Ok, have you applied to set aside the trial yet?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry im not really aware with the legal terms as well, by set aside you mean?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
attached is the letter from May 2017

Ok - you should apply to set aside the order and have the trial re-heard.

If you have a reason for not going the Court can, in effect, re-try the matter.

You can do this by completing for N244:

The Court will consider this and whether to re-set the matter down.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
today I want to know, am I better off paying the claimant or I can go back and say to the court as the car was sold as seen with a valid MOT, the claimant is asking for a fault month after the same for a private sale.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I think legally I have the right, also where shall I send the form please?

I would go back to Court. Send the form to the Court at Brentford.

I think you have a valid case - it was a private sale so buyer beware.

Does that clarify?

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That is great, I will give you full rating thanks.