How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6768
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

Pipes on the footpath leading to my property burst on a

This answer was rated:

Pipes on the footpath leading to my property burst on a Tuesday and I reported the matter to the water company on wednesday morning. A water company man came on thursday morning, looked at the problem. He advised me that the water was leaking at the rate of 5000 litres per hour. He also told me that he would report the problem and someone will come and sort it out. No one came until late in the evening when I contacted the company again and escalated the complaint. The escalation manager called me back and said someone will definitely come on Friday. Two technicians turned up at about 1.30pm on friday. They looked for the problem but left at about 5.00pm without sorting out anything. I reported the problem again to the company telling them, on every occasion, about the huge amount of water flowing and damaging the foundations of my property. No one turned up until the monday when they were able to find the fault and fixed the problem around 5.30pm on monday. I estimate that approximately 700,000 litres or 7000 cubic metres of water flooded the foundations of my house. I assume that water company is liable for the weakening of the foundations. What advice would you give me to make a formal claim for damage to the foundations of my house.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Have you had a survey to say whether there is a problem?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not yet. I was thinking that I should ask them to get an independent survey done.

Yes, do that. If there is no damage, then there is no claim.

If there is damage, they should put it right.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is there anything else that I should include in my claim document, in addition to the words that I had included in the document I had sent you, to strengthen my case requiring them to agree to an independent survey and put things right. I will obviously include the dates when I reported the leakage and the subsequent telephone conversations.Many thanks for your help.

No, what you have put is fine.

A particulars of claim is just a brief concise statement of facts.

Does that clarify?

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Many thanks for your help and guidance.Have a great Christmas and a Very Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year.Ashok Kochhar

All the best Ashok