How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10395
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

I’ve lived with my partner for 16 years and now she has

This answer was rated:

Hi I’ve lived with my partner for 16 years and now she has asked me to move out saying that the only reason is that she wants to be on her own ... the house is in her name but there be paid £100 per week for the last 16 years her ban died and left her cas to finish the mortgage so she no longer needs me
Assistant: Where are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: have I any rights
Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No she just asked me to leave and offered me 2 k towards a new place
Assistant: Anything else you want the solicitor to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello for clarification are you saying that you paid £100 per week towards the household for last 16years?

have you lived in the property together for 16 years? thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
paid £100 plus bills rent etc also payed for joint shopping etc
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I paid £100a week plus shopping etc and I pay for tv broadband etc £65 a month

What exactly is it that you want to know about this? Whether you have any financial claim on the property or whether you have any right to live in it or both?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do I have any financial settlement on the property

Thank you.

You don’t have any claim if you have been contributing to food and suchlike all the TV or broadband although you do have a claim if you have contributed to the property directly or indirectly and if you paid all the other bills because if she was paying those other bills she wouldn’t have been able to pay the mortgage, then that is an indirect contribution.

Do you have a claim any money from the property or from her? Yes. That’s the easy part. The difficult part is quantifying the value of that and for that you need to look at all the outgoings of the property including the mortgage, the value of the property then, the value of the property now, and basically what she is prepared to offer you and what you are prepared to accept.

If she has offered you £2000, then clearly it’s not enough because she isn’t going to offer you anything like what it’s worth.

What you have to decide is how much you want from this and she has to decide how much she is willing to pay because there is no legal aid for this and if this ends up in court, the legal costs could be quite expensive potentially running into several thousand if not tens of thousands of pounds. It would be worth her pain quite a few thousand pounds just to get rid of you to avoid the court proceedings.

.Can I clarify anything else for you? I’m happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

I’m happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please take a moment to look at the top right hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen. It’s important you use the rating service because that gives me credit. It doesn’t just give me a pat on the head! All you need to do is press Submit. Thank you.

If you still need any point clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.


F E Smith and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi she said that she has spoken to a solicitor and I’m entitled to nothing and for £1000 he can write to to get me out
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
To me and get me out

That’s very generous of the solicitor to write a letter for £1000. Only comes with any kind of guarantee!

You have a financial claim against the property but you don’t have any right to continue to live in it.

Of course she’s not going to say that the solicitor has said that you are entitled to a huge chunk of money is she? She’s paying her solicitor to say that you have no claim and to defend any claim that you bring!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What do you advise please