Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

My tenancy agreement requires that I pay the council tax on

My tenancy agreement requires that I pay the council tax on the property I rent. I used to pay this monthly to the council. I now have a new short hold tenancy agreement as a result of an additional person sharing the property. It appears that the landlord has transferred the obligation to pay council tax into his own name and has paid the full amount to April 2018 in advance. He now requires this amount (in full) from me. Do I have pay this in advance? My tenancy agreement states 'To pay any council tax which the tenant is obliged to pay under the Local Government Finance Act 1992.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

On what basis has he transferred it to his own name?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It just appeared to be the result of a new tenancy agreement.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The wording relating to payment of council tax is the same on the new agreement as it was on the old one.

No. Although they bill Council tax in advance you can pay by monthly installments. As such the agreement says 'To pay any council tax which the tenant is obliged to pay'. You are only required to do this monthly. Not in advance.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.