Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I sold a property in November 2016 which had been fully

Hi,I sold a property in November 2016 which had been fully renovated by certified contractors. I have just this morning received a call from the estate agents that processed the sale saying the buyers have had a plumber out and there is a crack in the waste pipe under the floor which has been leaking for sometime and in turn causing a nasty smell. They are threatening legal action if I don’t agree to rectify or subsidise them for the works. Where do I stand?Thanks in advance
James

Hello, James, my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

On what basis are they saying it is your fault?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jamie,When I bought the property it was in a terrible state so everything was renovated including the plumbing. As i mentioned before it was done by certified professionals. They are saying that tape was found on the pipe around the crack implying that the issue had been covered up. I have no knowledge of this whatsoever, so I can’t even confirm or deny whether the tape was there or it was put there by them when the crack was found. On this basis tho, they are saying that it was covered up and will go through claims court.Thanks

You never offered it with any sort of warranty?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
None at all. Just a normal house sale.

Ok - well you are not liable.

Unless you knew of any defects then they can not get you to pay.

They can try and get a small claim, but they will lose.

Unless you know, or you gave some sort of warranty, then you are not liable.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No that’s perfect, thank you for your swift response.

Happy to help.