How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 17359
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I am the president of a small charity and we are having a

This answer was rated:

I am the president of a small charity and we are having a problem with PayPal they are holding around £10,000 and have been since April last year we have given them all the information they have ask for and still they refuse to release the money to the vise presidents bank account.
Assistant: Where are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: The charity is based in Playa Blanca on Lanzarote but I am in the UK
Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No all we have had is dealings with PayPal direct and their customer service department agents as they call them
Assistant: Anything else you want the solicitor to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

On what basis do they refuse to release the money?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They just keep making up reasons why they can not release the money they ask for information they have already been given they asked that our vise president to set up another paypal account as his first account did not match his name until he had this large amount put into the account which came from an appeal that was set up there was never a problem with the first account as only very small amounts went through the account then when this large amount came in they blocked the account and started asking for all sorts of information which was sent through to them we would ask them what we had to do to get them to release the money and they would ask again for the same information again which was just a email we have tried phoning their customer service agents and just get put on hold for ages and then they just cut off the call we have asked them to transfer the money from the old account to the new account but still they do nothing we are now just pulling our hair out as we just don't know what to do next if you check the complaints page on the internet we are not the only ones that have had problems there are hundreds they just seem to be a real bunch of crooks that hold peoples money which is completely against their terms and conditions

You need to write and set out your losses and request payment within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not pay you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you