Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I am in the process of buying a Wimpey property. A lot of

Hi, I am in the process of buying a Taylor Wimpey property. A lot of 'options' were included in the property price for me - the bathroom and kitchen fittings, the floorings, light fittings and so on - to a value of around £29K. I did not pay separately for these. They were included in the house price. They are now all in and the house is ready to move into.
I now wish to pull out of the purchase. I am aware that I will lose most of my £2K reservation fee as solicitor's work has already been engaged.
Do you think Taylor Wimpey will charge me the £29K for those options as they can now no longer the offer the house as a blank canvas for purchasers to make their own mark.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Have you signed an order? If so, what does it say about cancellation?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is not clear because it talks about options in the sense that the purchaser is paying for them. Therefore it says that if they have already been ordered and can not be cancelled then the purchaser will be charged for them. But I did not pay from them separately. They were an 'incentive' for me buying the house. It was instead of Taylor Wimpey paying my stamps duty.

Ok. What does the clause say about options?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hold on and I will get it

Ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am I able to send you a scan of it?

Yes but redact any personal details. Use paper clip icon

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, it has no personal details.
There are two documents.
One from the back of my Reservation form and one from the Orders form. I will send them in that order.

Ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
First document here - from back of reservation form
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Second document
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you receive them ok?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, are you still there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I don't know whether to wait and see if you reply or try all over again with someone else. Please let me know if you are still dealing with my query.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I need to read them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Of course - just needed to know you had received them. Thank you.

Sure.

Thanks. I have read these. So was the £29k added to the final price?

Have the materials been ordered, put into manufacturer etc?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they are all in the house and the house is ready.

Ah, that is a problem then.

The answer is no. That is because I assume the £29k extras were just added to the house price.

The options contract is quite clear.

It says at 2.6 that orders can not be cancelled once products have been ordered, put into manufacture, delivered on-site or installed.

This is the case. Sadly I think for the options you would lose the £29k in relation to that.

They are a separate contract (even if included in the price).

I don't think they are likely to charge you, as they could charge a new buyer, but in theory, they could.

But if they did and sold the property, any extra would be offset against that £29k.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** I don't fully understand your reply. You start of by saying 'That is a problem then' (because the goods are already in I assume)
But then you say 'The answer is 'No' - no to what? No they wouldn't charge me?Then you say 'Sadly I think you would lose £29K'Then you go on to say 'I don't think they are likely to charge you'.
This all makes NO sense at all.Please clarify
The £29k was NOT added to the house price. They house price stayed the same. The options were an incentive.

Ah ok - so if you did not pay for the options and they were 'free' then you won't be charged.

There is no signed contract from what I can see about the options.

In any event, it can not be a valid contract if you were not going to pay for them.

I had assumed you were going to be charged a £29k for the items but it was included in the price.

But in this case, the price stayed the same.

So no, you cannot be charged for them. There was no additional cost for you.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hope you are right! I am terrified of having to cough up £29k which I do not have.Thank you for your help.
Kind regards,
JulietCan I keep this conversation to refer back to?

The question stays open and you can refer back to it at any time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I do the 5 star rating ?How do I keep the question open?

There should be a rating button at the top of the screen.

The question remains open always. It is in your account

Does that assist?