Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Assistant: What do you want help with? I am looking to get

Customer Question

Assistant: Hello. What do you want help with?
Customer: I am looking to get on to the roll of solicitors in the UK. I am currently on the roll of solicitors in Ireland. I have a previous motoring offence in 2010, driving without insurance, that resulted in a fine only. Would that be a bar to getting on the roll in the UK?
Assistant: Where are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am currently located in Dublin Ireland. I am an Irish Citizen.
Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: In the UK no. In Ireland, yes, the Law Society of Ireland are aware of it. Even though it is a spent offence in Ireland, still disclosable but not a bar on getting the roll on solicitors in Ireland, as it is a minor offence. I drove without insurance, went to district court, a judgment against me which found me guilty and a fine of 350 euros only. Nothing more.
Assistant: Anything else you want the solicitor to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Yes, you should do.

The SRA say under the suitability test:

1: Criminal offences

1.1

Unless there are exceptional circumstances, we will refuse your application if you have been convicted by a court of a criminal offence:

(a) for which you received a custodial or suspended sentence;

(b) involving dishonesty, fraud, perjury and/or bribery;

(c) specifically in relation to which you have been included on the Violent and Sex Offender Register;

(d) associated with obstructing the course of justice;

(e) which demonstrated behaviour showing signs of discrimination towards others;

(f) associated with terrorism;

(g) which was racially aggravated;

(h) which was motivated by any of the "protected" characteristics defined within the Equality Act 2010;

(i) which in our judgment is so serious as to prevent commencement or continuation of a period of recognised training, admission as a solicitor, or approval as an authorised role holder; and/or

(j) you have been convicted by a court of more than one criminal offence.

It is not any of these so you should be ok. Even if you have a DBS check in the UK, these offences won't show.

You can find the details of suitability here:

https://www.sra.org.uk/solicitors/handbook/suitabilitytest/content.page

So yes, you should be permitted.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi1. 2 Questions - is my question public on the just-answer website? If so, can I remove my question?
2. So in the AD1 form, what box should I tick?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Yes the question is public, but your personal details are not.

You should tick 'no'

Does that clarify?

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the bottom of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you.