Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have a lease for a shop that expired about 5 years ago. I

i have a lease for a shop that expired about 5 years ago. I emailed the landlady about it and she said dont worry about Subsequent emails to her asking if she had plans to put the rent up (as I was long term ill and had plans to move to spain) and was working out the viability of running the shop and having it fully staffed. I was told again dont worry about it. A few months later I received a letter to say the rent was going up. I asked for a stepped increase and shorter lease term and was told if I didnt agree to the rent increase and 10year lease, they would issue me with a section 25 eviction notice. I managed to negotiate to stay until xmas to decide, but I have to tell them what I am doing now. I understand from a friend who let a lease lap with some tenants of his, that as long as they pay the rent on time he is unable put the rent up or ask them to leave. I was wondering if the same applies to me. Can they force me out and put the rent up? I would like to stay as it has been. Also if I have to give notice and leave, as I pay monthly can I leave with just one months notice? or less? The expired lease said 3 months. Thankyou, Kate

Hello Kate my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Do you know if you will be paying market rate if it goes up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it would be more in line as it is definitely cheap currently as it has been the same for 8 years.I did offer to pay an extra £100 per month to allow me until xmas just gone to make up my mind. For me its more the fact of a 10 yr lease, when i was only offered 3yr lease when i took the shop originally. I have been diagnosed with a serious health problem which affects my quality of life and life span, so I moved to Spain. I worry a 10 yr lease is too long in my current situation. Also the rent increase and proposed rent reviews over the 10 yr period concern me as I am unable to run the shop myself anymore. It is my only income and I have no healthcare or life insurance. I can work from home generating web sales and doing admin for the business. It is a break even business.

I will call shortly.

I tried twice and no reply!

Are you able to respond?