Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have got a number of parking fines from the car park

Hi ,
I have got a number of parking fines from the car park management firm where I work. This was because I had changed my car and had not informed reception. I have a parking permit permitting me to park at the said car park and I have always displayed my parking permit clearly. I wasn't aware that I needed to inform reception about the new number plate, and became aware of it once i started getting parking charge notices. I appealed the first 2 and was referred to POPLa and those were subsequently canceled. The rest which number in 5 , I was late in appealing and although the appeals were sent, smart parking said they will be sent to debt recovery. Now they have sent to a company called Zenith collections which can take legal action.
What could I expect if summoned to court?
Please advice.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

How much is owing in total?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5 parking fines of £160 each totalling £800.

Ok - this is a problem for you.

You didn't park in accordance with the terms and conditions of the car park - there is no getting away from that.

Therefore if you do not pay, it will go to Court.

To be honest, it will be down to a Judge to decide whether to make you pay or not.

You could get one Judge who doesn't like these firms and dismisses the claim.

But on the other hand, a Judge may be strict.

If you lose, then you would have to pay a Court hearing fee, issue fee.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
see they did not contest the first 2 parking charges. So doesnt that show that I was allowed to park there?

Not necessarily. It does not automatically follow.

Does that assist?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will I get a court summons? how will that affect me? how much will I need to pay if the parking firm is successful?

The issue fee is £60 and hearing fee £55

Does that assist?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what about having to pay the court fees and solicitors costs, which is mentioned in the letter from the collector?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I also need to pay the parking charge of £800?

The Court can order the £800 or a lesser sum.

Solicitor costs are fixed, about £50 or so

Does that assist?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. yes, that helps. will they send the 5 parking charges to court for 5 times? or are they likely to be sent together?

No, it is all together.

Does that assist?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Yes.

All the best. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face at the top of the screen, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. It is also an important part of the online process. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you in advance and good luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
already rated you 5 star. Thanks a lot.

You did - thanks!