How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12300
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I would be grateful for some advice. My son is hoping to be

This answer was rated:

Good afternoon. I would be grateful for some advice. My son is hoping to be a Professional Cyclist, he is currently in Majorca on a training camp with some other riders (aged 18-21). One of the other cyclists has a bad back and went to the local pharmacy where he was given Tramadol. Tramadol is alicenced drug in the UK but is available without prescription over the counter in Spain. Although not illegal to take it is considered 'bad form' for a cyclist to take Tramadol. The lad who was given the Tramadol by the pharmacy did not take any for this reason and the box remains unopened. He did however allow one of the other riders to take a photo of him holding the box of Tramadol. A few days later my son & the lad given the Tramadol had a falling out with the lad who took the photo and this lad posted the photo on social media - tagged my son's team and stated that the whole team use Tramadol. Although my son was not holding the Tramadol or was named specifically as you can imagine this has not gone down well with the team or the sponsors. The lad has now removed the post from social media but not before it was seen by a good few people. Can you advise what would be the best course of action to take as this lad has spread malious and totally false allegations. Can we demand he retracts them ? Many thanks

Thanks for your question. The comments made at defamamtory and would be actionable by a court action for defamation and damages. What you should do is have a formal letter sent to him demanding that the allegations are withdrawn, an apology made and an acknowledgement made that the allegations are untrue. That acknowledgement can be shown to the various sponsors. It should be made clear to this person that if he doesn’t do this, court proceedings against him will follow with an application for costs. You may want that letter to be drafted by a solicitor so as to have maximum effect. Happy to discuss further. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks - I think we will wait for 24 hours to see if he retracts what he has said (my son is going to contact him now) and if not will proceed with legal action - is sending the letter something you can do or do we need to instruct a local solicitor? Many thanks

A local solicitor would be needed a Just Answer experts are simply here to give answers to scenarios. The important thing is a retraction in writing, an apology in writing and an acknowledgement that the statement was untrue, again in writing, so that can be shown to sponsors etc. I hope you get it sorted.

JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Many thanks.