How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50518
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I have worked as a contractor for a specialist poultry

This answer was rated:

Good afternoon
I have worked as a contractor for a specialist poultry company called Fayre Game , which is owned by the Tom Barron group in Preston , I worked as the sales manager and factory manager. The production facility was closed down at the beginning of october , and my invoices which are presented on a monthly basis have been part paid for Sept and Oct , and no funds for Nov and Dec, they are disputing my work hours per month. i have offered a compromise solution in early dec , and sent emails asking for resolution on 18th dec, 22 Dec and 4th Jan .
I have not had a single email , call or text since October . can you advise what my options are to recover payment , will i have to go to Small claims, The company just don't want to talk to me
Many thanks
I would appreciate any advice you can give , as i am now not earning

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

So how much are you owed and what reason, if any, has been provided for not settling your invoices as yet?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am owed approx £3000 with £600 paid on account
On the closure of the factory they disputed the hours I had booked , 20 hours per week, which has been the norm for the last 8 years without scrutiny , and wished to just pay me at 6 hours per week
No other reason given for non payment
Are they not now withholding g payment illegally ?

OK, thank you for your response. Leave it with me for now and I will review the relevant information and laws and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Thanks for your patience. Whilst you can try dealing with them directly over the payment owed, if they simply refuse to engage with you or pay you at all, you may have no other option but to take formal legal action. There is no other way to force them to pay you.

If a party wishes to pursue another for a debt arising out of a dispute between them, they can do so by making a claim in the civil courts. As legal action should ideally be used as a last resort, there are certain steps that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve lawyers or the courts. These can be summarised below and it is recommended the following procedure is followed to try and progress this matter further:

1. Reminder letter – if no informal reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the other party to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but have been ignored, the other party must be sent a formal ‘letter before action’ asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time, usually 7 to 14 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue them for the debt in question. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed a copy will be sent to the other side and they will have a limited time to defend it. Once they are aware that legal proceedings have commenced it may also force them to reconsider their position and perhaps prompt them to contact you to try and resolve this.

4. As an alternative to legal action a debtor can be issued with a formal statutory demand. This is a legal request which asks the debtor to pay the outstanding debt within 21 days and failure to do so would allow the creditor to bankrupt the debtor (if they are an individual) or wind up the company (if they are a business). The minimum amounts owed to be able to issue a statutory demand are £750 if the debtor is a company. For the relevant forms to serve a statutory demand see here:

As a final tip, it is always advisable to keep copies of any correspondence sent and received as the courts would like to refer to it if it ever gets that far.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you