How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1469
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
Type Your Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

My ex recently took me to the family court and their case

This answer was rated:

My ex recently took me to the family court and their case was struck out.
The district Judge ordered ex to pay my costs. BUT they have 6 months to pay it.
I am concerned they will avoid paying this amount which is a lot of money for me right now and especially as I did not start proceedings and had to defend myself. The question is what can I do now (charge over property) to ensure this amount is paid back and they dont spend the next 6 months finding ways of avoiding it (which is highly likely). Or can i only do something when they fail to pay?


Welcome to Just Answer

I am a Solicitor and will assist you.

I can confirm that your logic is correct that you cannot seek enforcement of the costs ordered until there has been a default, that being that the monies had not benn piad by when they had been ordered that they should have been paid by.

The good thing about enforcing an order from the family court is that you can make one application to court for enforcement as the court sees fit. The fee for this type of enforcement is only £50 whereas in civil matters you have to pay for each type of enforcement.

Upon receipt of your application the court will list the matter for the hearing and a Judge will look to enforce the order for you in the best way possible.

This is the form that you need to apply:

kind regards


Positive feedback is gratefully received

ukfamilysolicitor and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you Caroline that is very helpful. I have saved the link, hopefully I wont need it.

Glad I could help. If I can assist you any further then please do not hesitate to ask.

kind regards