How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1469
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
Type Your Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

We have a much loved and happy adopted son of 7 and an

This answer was rated:

We have a much loved and happy adopted son of 7 and an autistic adopted daughter of 14. Unfortunately she has become very difficult for us to control. She has displayed regular insubordination and aggression at school; with police involvement on one occasion. Over the past 2years her behaviour has unfortunately developed characteristics of psychopathy in her daily outbursts.Yesterday after a strong verbal reprimand she contacted child line who in turn contacted the police.This inevitably will result in an M A R meeting.
My questions are these: what happens at these meetings, what are the likely outcomes and most importantly could our boy be taken from us even though the girl is not violent towards him?


Welcome to Just Answer

I am a Solicitor and will assist you.

Please may I ask:

- Different areas have different terminology for the same meetings - can you clarify is the meeting in relation to the children with social services? have you been contacted by social services so far?

kind regards


Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No social services contact over this issue.M A R CARMARTHENSHIRE if that helps


Thank you for clarifying that for me. You are in Wales which is within my jurisdcition.

I am a family solicitor and a member of the law society children panel.

I understood your concern in your question to be over your daughetrs behaviour and how this may effect your son living with you.

Can you just clarify for me who has called this meeting and who will be attending so that I can assist you further.

kind regards


Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We presume rhe police and we were told the various agencies would attend, police and social services


Thank you for clarifying that for me.

This sounds to me like a child protection conference.

This a meeting where all the agencies and you get together and discuss the issues and a plan in put in place to help protect and promote the interests of both children.

There are various levels of interventions, children in need is the lowest level, child protection is the next level, then pre proceedings and then court proceedings.

In relation to children in need and child protection (and even pre proceedings to a degree) the lcoal authority are of the positon that they can work with you and keep the children with you and with help and support both children can be safeguarded and the childresn needs met.

Its best to be open and honest about all the difficulties that you have had with your daughter and all the measures that you have taken so far to promote the well being of both children. The team should be able to come up with a lan to support you such as maybe some extra support for your daughter.

Working with the local authority usually means that both children can stay with you.

If the local authority do not think that the childrens needs can be met they may decide to issue court proceedings for a care or supervision order in respect of one or both of the children. If they do this then the Judge will decide the outcome. You will automatically get free legal aid if the local authority do go to pre proceedings level or if they issue proceedings. You wont get free legal aid under children in need or child protection.

Even if the local authority do issue proceedings then a Judge can decide its still safe for both children to be cared for at home with help and support from the local authority. If your daughetrs behaviour was to spiral and continued placement was not in her best interests then this does not mean that your sons needs would not be met with you.

Please do let me know if I can assist you further

kind regards


Please kindly remember to rate positvely by using the stars so that credit is received for helping you today. Your question will remain open when you leave positive feedback and I can answer your follow up questions for free for you.

apologies for the typos's - the system wont let me amend them!

ukfamilysolicitor and other Law Specialists are ready to help you