Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

We are in rented accommodation, within which we have been

We are in rented accommodation, within which we have been located for some 6 months.
We initially paid the first 6 months rent up front to avoid the requirement for references etc (time did not allow this requirement)
We are being asked to pay the next three months (Of a 9 month contract)up front as well.
The contract we signed does not mention this requirement, but we did agree in an earlier E mail to the request of paying up front.
I assume that if it not in the contract they (the agent) is not able to make this request?
Is this in fact correct?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

On what basis are you being asked for another 3 months?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
to comply with their earlier requirement to pay up front to complete the 9 month term

If the contract does not require it, then you do not need to comply.

I realise you may have agreed by email, but then it is too late.

The contract has already been agreed and signed.

They can not change the terms. You can not be required to pay more.

If not I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer. If you need more help, you can ask follow up questions for free and I would be delighted to assist. Thanks!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the e mails were exchanged prior to the signing of the contract (which did not include this requirement)

Ok - then you are not bound. It is not in the contract.

The contract can not be changed without your consent

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
can you please confirm in writing for me?

We are an online only service, so whilst I can confirm here, I can not send you a letter. I have confirmed online here regarding the answer to your question.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
e mail ?

This question is stored in your account and you can come back to it at any time by clicking 'My Questions'.

You can print it off from there if you wish.

Does that clarify?