Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I had a tenancy agreement for three months with an agency.

I had a tenancy agreement for three months with an agency. The agency refuses to give my deposit back claiming I had to give them a month notice. In the agreement it is mentioned that the notice should be given for an early termination, meanwhile I left the flat on the move out date specified on the agreement. I have contacted the agency via email listing the payments made (with date) regarding the rent as well as the period the agreement specifies. No reply was given to me. Please advice
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
T

Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Was he deposit paid into a secure and bonded scheme? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
On the contract it says the deposit is held by Opulent rooms. The address he put was a company that dealt with his mail. I went there and the receptionist said they are not dealing with his mail anymore and he should not be using their address.

Thank you. Have they tried to deduct any money from the deposit. The contract says that in the event of any dispute the money should transferred to the TDSL (Depsoit dispute scheme) in order for a dispute to be resolved. Have they said they will repay it? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This was the last time I heard from him. He didn’t reply to my texts or email.

Thank you. There is no notice period in the contract - it terminated on 30 December 2017. I would write to the landlord and say there is no notice period and he must return the depsoit within 7 days. I would also suggest - you say to him that he is abusing his position as a landlord and if he does not return the deposit you will consider reporting him to the local council. https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome - if he still does not return the money you can commence a money claim here. I look forward to hearing from you. Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you so much for your advise. I will email him now and wait for his reply. Best regards Livia

Thank you. If I can assist any further please let me know. I would be most grateful if you would take a moment to rate my answer. Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Hello Sir,
I had a conversation with you in January regarding my tenancy agreement(hopefully you will have it above).The agency refused to return my deposit even though I left the property on the date specified on the agreement. The person responsible said that I had to give one month notice, which was true in case of an early termination. I contacted him and no reply was given. I finally completed a money claim form as you advised me with the address used on the agreement. The claim was not served because the address the agency used was not their actual address. It was the address of a mail service company and they said this agency is not using their service any longer and should not be using their address. I entered judgment and I have not heard from the agency or the court since then. Could you please inform or advise me regarding the next step?
Best regards *****