Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Received letter by travel investigation, bought a child

Received letter by travel investigation, bought a child ticket, joked about age but was honest to inspector. I bought ticket via train line app, later that day repeated the same so I reinstalled and bought adult. I have written a letter but have 2 days left or may summoned by court. please advise
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is it you would like to know about this today please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have sent a letter to you, I wanted to know the best way to address this. I want to settle with the rail company and avoid court

Yes, of course. So you are saying that it’s the online system fault, rather than yours?

So when you booked and got email confirmation, it didn’t say it was a child ticket?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I purchased a child ticket, without realising and realised it could have been a system error when it occurred again later that day. I re-installed the app and bought another adult ticket. All is explained in the letter I sent over.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It was but the way I handled situation made it worse

Yes I read that. You said it was a system error. But you would have also got an emailed confirmation. Did that say it was child?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I didn't check the email before boarding, but it says child fare in small writing
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Will that be an issue. I double checked adult when booking my return but was also bought as a child. my rail card did not apply either.

sadly it appears then you booked a child one, not an adult one,

Your reply is fine. I would also say that as you have no previous you would like to be able to consider an out of court settlement.

Clearly the ticket you would have chosen either on the app or paper ticket would say child. It would say child in big writing. The email confirmation would also say child. So I don’t think you have much ground by saying you didn’t know, or it was a system fault.

But be apologetic, as you have done, just ask for an out of court disposal.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Please clarify how to address it in the letter.

You just say at the end you have no previous and want an out of court settlement.

That is it, you don’t need to put any more.

Does that assist?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When viewing the ticket in the train line app the font is really small, the fact that I travel on a continuous basis I never would have assumed the check that part. Shall I remove the part about it occurring again later that day.

I would, yes. It is of course up to you to make sure you have the right ticket.

Does that assist?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Does it not show that I intended to purchase an adult ticket and checked to make sure I did not make the same mistake twice
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Would you mind verifying which parts to remove. Also, please advise whether I should include evidence of all my train tickets made throughout last year. And, regarding the out of court settlement, how much would a sensible fine be in this circumstance.

That is the only part to remove. Don’t admit to doing it twice. I have no idea, but it could be £250 or less.

Does that clairfy?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Please can you verify my letter once more, this is the final draft.

That is fine.

Does that assist?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am planning to send the letter through Royal Mail, shall I include my other tickets as evidence through email or screenshots in the letter?
I will need a follow up, what is the procedure?

You don’t need to send tickets etc unless they ask for evidence. For a follow up you can just ask here, it does not close.

Or start a new question with For Jamie

Does that assist?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I would like a second opinion, can you please refer me to another solicitor.

You need to rate this one and post another question

Only if you rate ok or above can you get a second opinion . Thanks