Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Just need a question answering on a property we were due to

Hi,Just need a question answering on a property we were due to rent. We paid a deposit to get the keys early to do some jobs to the property before we moved in, landlord agreed. Unfortunately we found quiet a few problems with the house and decided not to go ahead. Our deposit is with the DPS and we've had huge issues getting this returned so it's no with the resolution dept. However, no tenancy had been signed nor no inventory had been completed. Do you think we will have issue getting this returned by the dps?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

No.

Either party can pull out at any time before contracts are signed. If they had been, you would be stuck.

But they have not, so yes you can get it back

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even if we started works to the property? We took up the carpets as they were old and damaged and have new ones to replace them. The landlord is also claiming that we have caused damage to the property that we haven't so this is her reason for keeping all our deposit. The landlady keeps trying to make threats and accusations that are frankly becoming alarming. However if I don't negotiate with her I'm concerned the Dps will go in her favour but obviously in the back of my mind I'm aware no legally binding documents have been signed and everything we agreed was done by an informal arrangement outside of the tenancy agreement.

Correct. No contract.

Does that assist?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think so, the deadline for evidence was midnight last night. So the adjudicators at the DPS have until the 21st Feb to make a decision where the money goes and I'm hopeful they will see the facts and not this ladies lies.

Indeed. All the best. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face at the top of the screen, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. It is also an important part of the online process. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you in advance and good luck!