How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7682
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I have been a customer of Scottish Power for a number of

This answer was rated:

I have been a customer of Scottish Power for a number of years, two years ago they approached me to take out a boiler care policy. they sent an engineer to inspect the boiler and he gave it the OK so I started paying at £18.60 per month.
I phoned to report a problem(no flame to the boiler)on Friday 2/2/2018,they offered an engineer for Monday 5/2 2018. I am 77years old and this was one of the coldest weekends of the winter and I made them aware of my age so their claim of 24/7 emergency cover has already been proven false. The engineer who came out took a cursory look at at the fire and said that that my heat exchanger was gone and that it was beyond economical repair, he drained the system of water and left.
When I phoned Scottish Power they had already cancelled my policy and I am not entitled to any help towards the cost of a new boiler or any other form of compensation.
It seems to me that they have taken around £500 of my money for a policy with no value to me, is this miss selling?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you,

What is it you want to achieve? Your £500 back?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That would be a very good start

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Jamie-Law and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you