Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE

I believe my girlfriend's company has failed in it's Duty of

I believe my girlfriend's company has failed in it's Duty of Care towards her (bullying and harassment over two year period and allowing her to leave the office in a distressed and upset state). Also I believe they have breached the Data Protection Act in passing personal data and naming the employee, who they had no association with. Can I raise a complaint on her behalf so that the persons concerned are held accountable, because I don't think she will be able to do it for herself? She is currently signed off sick by GP for "Stress at work".

Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. If you want to make a complaint you would need your girlfriends consent. You could make a complaint to the ICO in generic i.e not naming your girlfriend. Is this a large company?

Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
6000 employees

Thank you. If it is a large company, it will be easier to lodge a generic complaint about your concerns. You could say you believe the are disclosing employee details without or legitimate purpose. Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Isn't ICO just data protection?
What about bullying and harassment?

Thank you. That is a personal claim - if your girlfriend doesnt want you to make the claim you cannot. You need her consent. Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Interesting. So wouldn't need to go through grievance or tribunal?

Thank you. Yes she would have to raise the grievance. Kind regards AJ