How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3892
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

I believe my girlfriend's company has failed in it's Duty of

This answer was rated:

I believe my girlfriend's company has failed in it's Duty of Care towards her (bullying and harassment over two year period and allowing her to leave the office in a distressed and upset state). Also I believe they have breached the Data Protection Act in passing personal data and naming the employee, who they had no association with. Can I raise a complaint on her behalf so that the persons concerned are held accountable, because I don't think she will be able to do it for herself? She is currently signed off sick by GP for "Stress at work".

Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. If you want to make a complaint you would need your girlfriends consent. You could make a complaint to the ICO in generic i.e not naming your girlfriend. Is this a large company?

Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
6000 employees

Thank you. If it is a large company, it will be easier to lodge a generic complaint about your concerns. You could say you believe the are disclosing employee details without or legitimate purpose. Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Isn't ICO just data protection?
What about bullying and harassment?

Thank you. That is a personal claim - if your girlfriend doesnt want you to make the claim you cannot. You need her consent. Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Interesting. So wouldn't need to go through grievance or tribunal?

Thank you. Yes she would have to raise the grievance. Kind regards AJ

Alex J. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you