12826847

An ex tenant periodically helped me with computer issues,

An ex tenant periodically helped me with computer issues, maybe 6 times over 5 years. He literally popped in, spent 5 or 10 minutes and left. I generally gave a bottle of wine as thanks. This was a neighbourly favour in the same way I would look after their kids occasionally or lend them equipment. They have now vacated the property and suddenly I have received an invoice for nearly £500 for two of these visits, including a call out charge, with a threat of further invoices to follow. How should I deal with this? Running along side this is a threat to take me to court over alleged, and untrue, breaches of contract for example not supplying carbon monoxide alarm and therefore endangering the life of his family - value £2000., entering the property without prior consent (3 years ago) and o carry out repairs - value £800 for disturbance to privacy - consent was obtained but as they literally lived next door and we had a very cordial relationship this was all done verbally.I just don't know what to do with these requests for money when it's all a case his word against mine.

Are you asking if you are liable?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I guess so and how I should proceed
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No thankyou to phone call

Well, there is the risk this person could sue. If they do then you just defend on the basis that there was never any intention that this service would be paid for. In fairness if there has been a long delay in demanding payment then that would suggest that it is without basis. Further, if the invoice was delivered just after a dispute then that suggests it is an attempt to get the upper hand.

This wouldn’t be the first time a completely false claim has been made though.

The way to deal with it is to right back saying no more than that you do not believe that you are liable and if they wish to recover they will have to sue and then just ignore them unless they do.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
with a threat to sue should we enter into some sort of discussion with complainant (don't know if that is the right term). They have sent a letter recorded delivery asking us to pay or respond satisfactorily in 30 days or else they will sue. My instinct is to ignore this and let them sue as I certainly do not intend to negotiate with them but their letter suggests that if we do not negotiate or enter into some sort of arbitration we would be looked upon unfavourably in court.

The way to deal with it is to right back saying no more than that you do not believe that you are liable and if they wish to recover they will have to sue and then just ignore them unless they do

There is no point in wasting your time on extensive discussion.