Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

If a person dies after buying an item, do their consumer

Hello. If a person dies after buying an item, do their consumer rights pass to the person who inherits that item?

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

How long ago would the item have been purchased?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
10 Feb - we're in the 14 day cool off period. It was bought online and the items haven't yet been sent or received.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are you actually there?

Hi there. Apologies for the slight delay and thank you for your response. Leave it with me for now and I will review the relevant information and laws and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Waste of money that was....

Thanks for your patience. When a consumer purchase is made, the rights are between the buyer and seller. If the buyer subsequently dies, any claim remains with their estate, not who inherits the item. The deceased person will leave their estate upon death and this will include all items and money and rights they owned at the time of death. Therefore, the executors of the estate can still apply the buyer’s rights even after their death. This does mean if the person has died whilst still in the legal time period to reject an item for a refund, they can do so on the deceased person’s behalf, as the executors of their estate.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Many thanks. Please would you give me the piece of legislation that says this? Many thanks again

It is not legislation, it is common law

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm so sorry, but does that mean its not written down anywhere for me to quote? I'm sorry

In a way you are correct, it is not written down anywhere specifically in a piece of law which you can just pull up and refer to. It is through common law, meaning case law over the years which have shaped the laws of the land throughout time. Many legal principles are established in that way. It would take quite a bit of research to point down the exact common laws which have created this and it would be beyond the scope of our site and the level of fees. Therefore, it is only something you would really need in the event that you had to make a court claim for it, which I would very much hope it does not come down to as eventually the retailer should issue a refund

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Many, many thanks.

you are welcome and all the best