Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

My son has booked some code share flights with Travel up.

The flights are with BA Qatar & Hong kong air.
His brother spelt his name Samual instead of Samuel.
The tickets has cost £600 approx.
BA say they cant change because it is multiple airlines
Travel up say they cant change the one letter spelling mistake because BA wont allow them. They say they can only refund airport tax at £20 And he will have to pay for a new ticket.
How can this be right?

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

How long ago did your son making this booking?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Ben the booking was made on 18/10/17 for flight departing 23/5 18

OK, thank you for your response and for the phone call request. I am not available to talk at this present time but leave it with me for now and I will review the relevant information and laws and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no phone call just e-mail

Many thanks for your patience. What you are facing is certainly not uncommon, with millions of passengers travelling worldwide every year. In the end mistakes do happen. However, it is not unlawful for airlines to either charge a fee, or not even be able to offer the option to make such an amendment after a short period of time has elapsed. In the end, your rights will be determined by the booking conditions which the purchaser had agreed to at the time of booking. Therefore, the first point of reference should be the agent’s and airline’s booking terms to see what the right to change a name are. If they match what you have been told already, then sadly he will not be able to change the ticket by offering to pay a fee and a new booking may have to be made. This is sadly nothing new or unusual - plenty of airlines have similar strict rules on name changed - all you have to do is take a quick look at various airlines’ terms to see that is the case:

https://www.aph.com/community/holidays/change-correct-name-airline-ticket-cost/

If he finds a term in the booking agreement which allows him to make a change, even now, then he can rely on that as a contractual right, however if it clearly says this is not possible, then sadly there is not much that can be done about it. It may appear morally wrong, but it will not be unlawful.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks Ben. its looks like modern day " Highway Robbery" to me.
But at least I wont waste any more time on it

You are welcome, all the best