Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor

I have disputed payments to American Express for an online

Hi I have disputed payments to American Express for an online training course that was not delivered as described. They have said it is not covered by section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 as I was too late notifying them.
Is there a time limit within this Section?They investigated pursuing my claim as “goods wholly or partially not delivered” but then refused my claim as it “out of time” under an internal procedure limiting claims to 150 days. They would not share this internal procedure document with me nor explain any justification for their limitation.
Are there any statutory legal time limits on claims against credit card companies?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you it’s this.

There is no statutory time limit.

Most companies have around 90 days as a policy, but it is not in Law.

You could bring a claim against the merchant or for breach of contract and Amex under s.75 under the Act.

If you issue proceedings with merchant and Amex, they are likely to settle it.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Your reply is very brief. Please clarify more. The supplier is based in USA. Amex are in UK. Would I would need to take proceedings against both or just Amex UK Ltd. And would that that would be in Uk under English law. If so how would I do that? The amounts are two payments of $6000 on 27/06/2016. Is this Small Claims or other? Amex say they cannot progress the chargeback as the claim is too old. I nade claim 1 Nov 2017 when US company changed ownership and changed membership conditions and product description after failing to deliver to the original specifications. Also Amex claim they only process the transaction to Stripe whom the USA company use for payment processing so cannot interact with the merchant. I understand Section 75 makes them liable. Please confirm.

Ok. It would be Amex in the uk and not the USA supplier. It is uk Law which applies.

If it’s 12000 USD then any claim under £10,000is a small claim. If you paid the merchant direct then Amex is liable.

If it went through a third party processor like PayPal then it is that person who would be liable. You can only claim against Amex if the merchant was paid direct.

If the processor did their job then there is no s.75 claim.

Does that clairfy?

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
No - it confuses. To my simple mind - I pay for an item with my Amex card - on the Amex statement it says the payment was made to the Merchant. I do not see any other person in the chain. Amex claim Stripe is an intermediary. It looks like a ruse to dodge their liability. If I pursue them will they dodge liability? "If the processor did their job " what does that mean? And If I cant claim against Amex how do I claim against the US company - Can I do it here in UK court?

Then your claim is against Amex is ok.

It’s a s,75 Claim.

You can’t claim against USA company in other uk.

You would have to issue proceedings in the USA.

You can’t enforce a uk judgment in the USA.

Does that clairfy?

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
34;You can’t claim against USA company in other uk." ??

No, you can’t enforce a uk Judgent in the USA. You have to get judgment in the USA.

I am a uk lawyer so can’t advise on USA law or procedures

But I do know uk judgments can’t be enforced there and USA judgments can’t be enforced in the uk.

Does that help?

Customer: replied 30 days ago.