How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3891
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

My partner and I have lent my daughter some money to

This answer was rated:

My partner and I have lent my daughter some money to purchase her property. We have drawn up a Deed of Trust to protect our interest. Her boyfriend is now moving in and we would like to crate some other agreement protecting her and our investment. Can you help please

Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Who is the legal registered owner of the property? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My partners daughter
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don’t want to call as I want to remember what you say and I can see it in writing
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are you there Alex

Thank you. The only additional security you could have would be a charge over the property in respect of your monies - this would expensive and you would need a solicitor - and her mortgage lenders consent (if applicable). The boyfriend wont have any claim on the property, unless she promises it to him and for example he starts renovating the property or paying towards the mortgage on the understanding that he will get a share in it. You could just ask the boyfriend to sign a letter saying that he acknowledges he has no "right, title or interest in the property" either now or in the future - and will take no actions to challenge, blight or detriment your daughter's interest in the property. Will he pay her rent?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That I am not sure of is that what you are suggesting

Thank you. If he is going to pay her rent - then they should have at least a tenancy agreement - so he acknowledges that the money is only rent and is not in anyway a contribution towards ownership of the property. Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

No problem. If I can assist any further please let me know. I would be most grateful if you would kindly rate my response. Kind regards AJ

Alex J. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you