How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7682
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I bought glassware at an online auction based on catalogue

This answer was rated:

I bought glassware at an online auction based on catalogue description. Further description of condition added online later. One has the base completely detached from the stem yet pictures both on front cover and against the lot show them standing upright which must have used some form of support. Auctioneers terms etc state it is my responsibility to inspect. Any advice on where I stand. ThanksPeter

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today.

Was it damaged in transit or at auction?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
At the Auction. In fairness on their website the condition was described but not in the printed catalogue and the pictures were misleading. I don’t recall the auctioneer making any comment about the change in condition

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you