Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

On sick now. Tesco is lying and trying to scar us. They not

on sick now. Tesco is lying and trying to scar us. They not paying for a sick and they fire people during long sickness. ( few weeks). If u have meeting with them they telling u not to go for ski, not to go sick because were sick 6 times in 9 years and next time we will fire u straight away. I would like to go back to my country for a treatment. But i dont want to come back after a 4 weeks to go for a meeting with them because i have difficulties with money. Can they fire me During the sick if i will go for a treatment to my country (poland) with a doctor fit note that i need to go there???
Assistant: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: No arrow at the top right corner
Assistant: Where are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Croydon
Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No, not yet
Assistant: Anything else you want the solicitor to know before I connect you?
Customer: Well we have got problem with the temperature in our work place. It is freezing and i am sick every fewweeks . Mostly i still working. But they dont care about us but they giving informals and warnings because u are sick and that is suspicious for them

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

What are the reasons for sickness?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Carpal tunnel syndrom
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It is about wrong pressure in wrists. Hands are numb without power. Cant open a jar, lifts anything it is just permanent pain.

Thank you. Legally, there is nothing stopping the employer from dismissing you whilst you are off sick, but they could be in trouble for not following a fair dismissal procedure because you should be given the chance to attend the final dismissal hearing to argue your case. So they will probably not do anything whilst you are away, but they could ask you to attend a performance meeting on your return and they could potentially dismiss in it.

Capability, where an employee is unable to perform the job they were employed to do due to ill health, is a potentially fair reason for dismissal under the Employment Rights Act 1996. Capability is assessed by reference to the employee’s skill, aptitude, health or any other physical or mental quality.

Apart from showing that capability was the reason for dismissal, the employer would also be required to follow a fair procedure. The leading case on fairness in these situations said that the employer should establish the true medical position and consult with the employee before deciding whether to dismiss. Another important consideration is whether any reasonable employer would have waited longer in the circumstances before dismissing the employee.

When looking at the reasonableness of such a dismissal, the tribunal will usually look at the following factors:

· What was the nature of the illness and did the employer make attempts to gather more information on it, such as asking for medical reports or examinations

· The prospects of the employee returning to work and the likelihood of the recurrence of the illness

· The need for the employer to have someone doing the work

· The effect of the absences on the rest of the workforce

· The employee's length of service

{C}· {C}Was the employee consulted over their position

{C}· {C}The availability of other suitable employment that the employee could do instead

In any event, dismissal should be used as a last resort. Only when it is obvious that the employee cannot continue in their job, that their absences are having a detrimental effect on the business and that there were no alternative roles available for them to do, would dismissal become a fair option.

It is also important to consider the additional rights someone would have if the condition that is affecting them amounts to a 'disability'. This can have a broad meaning from a legal perspective and there is no single list of medical conditions that qualify. Potentially anything can amount to a disability if it meets the required criteria.

The Equality Act 2010 defines a disability as a “physical or mental impairment that has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on a person’s ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities”.

I will break this definition down and examine it in more detail:

{C}· {C}Physical or mental impairment – this can include nearly any medical condition, be it physical or mental

{C}· {C}Substantial effect – the effect must be more than minor or trivial

{C}· {C}Long-term - the impairment must either have lasted or be likely to last for at least 12 months

{C}· {C}Normal day-to-day activities – these could include anything considered ‘normal’ in a person's normal daily routine (e.g. shopping, reading and writing, having a conversation or using the telephone, watching television, getting washed and dressed, preparing and eating food, carrying out household tasks, walking and travelling by various forms of transport, and taking part in social activities)

If a person satisfies the above criteria, they will be classified as being disabled and will have automatic protection against discrimination. This means that they must not be treated unfavourably because of their disability. In addition, their employer would have a duty to make reasonable adjustments if they are likely to be placed at a substantial disadvantage when compared to non-disabled employees.

So in summary, if the employer has not taken time to investigate the true medical position, whether suitable employment was available and generally considered the effects the employee's continued absence would have on the business, any dismissal could potentially be unfair. In addition, if they have failed to make reasonable adjustments in the event the employee's was classified as disabled, this could also amount to disability discrimination.

Please take a quick second to leave a positive rating for the service so far by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above. I can continue answering follow up questions and in particular can also discuss your rights in the event you are dismissed. There is no extra cost for this - leaving your rating now will not close the question and means we can still continue this discussion. Thank you

Thank you. In the event of dismissal you can consider a claim for unfair dismissal and potentially disability discrimination if you qualify.

Before a person can make a claim in the employment tribunal, they would be required to participate in mandatory early conciliation through the Advisory Conciliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS).

The purpose of this process is to allow ACAS to mediate between the claimant and respondent to agree on an out of court settlement in order to avoid the need for legal action in tribunal. The respondent does not have to engage in these discussions, or if they do and the talks are unsuccessful, the claimant will be issued with a certificate allowing them to make a claim.

However, if a settlement is reached, the claimant would agree not to proceed with the claim in return for the agreed financial settlement. Other terms can also be agreed as part of the settlement, such as an agreed reference.

To initiate the conciliation procedure ACAS can be contacted online by filling in the following form (https://ec.acas.org.uk/Submission/SingleClaimantPage), or by phone on 0300(###) ###-####