Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have a dispute with a subcontractor, who I believe has

I have a dispute with a subcontractor, who I believe has overcharged me for work. When I questioned him about it he reduced the bill by £500. Although still expensive I agreed to the £1000 per bathroom price. I explained I was waiting for payment from the landlord and would pay ASAP. I paid £1000 and the rest would follow ASAP. I kept him informed at all times. I then received a letter from a debt collector demanding the £1000 owed plus £500 he wanted back from the reduced bill plus collectors fees and interest.
The contractor continually avoided giving me a price until the jobs were completed, despite my regular requests.
I would have accepted the £2000 bill but he is now saying he gave me a verbal price at the start of the job, despite me having messages to prove this was not the case!
What should I do

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today.

Are you a consumer or a business? Did you sign any terms?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I’m a business. No terms were signed

Have you paid anything yet, I assume now? Have you paid what you thought was agreed?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I think I’ll ring you tomorrow if that’s ok

Sure. It is an extra cost for a call, but happy to help

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
that’s on top of the original £38?

It would be yes, or we can keep it online for the original fee.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I’ll keep it online for now.
The original bill was £2000, I’ve paid £1000 and told him I was awaiting money’s from the Landlord who I was doing the work for. I explained as he hadn’t paid me I had no funds at this time to pay him the balance, but would do in a week or so.
As I’ve previously mentioned he then went straight to the debt collection agency and said the price was now £1250 because he had has to wait for his money.
My point is that had he told me how much he was going to charge, I wouldn’t have used him. He just kept avoiding the issue when I asked him on a price. The first I knew of the price was when he had finished both jobs.
I have all the correspondence with him requesting the job price etc.
So my question is that as he has failed to give me anything in writing despite my request in writing, what legal standpoint do I have. He is just using the last payment to push up the already rediculoisly expensive job.

If you did not sign any terms then they can not claim for any additional charges for debt recovery.

It has to be part of the contract. It was not.
As such you can only pay what you feel is owed, not more.

If he wants to charge you more, then he has to take you to Court.

Given the value it would be a small claim

The law says he is only entitled to charge a reasonable fee for reasonable work done.

As such he has failed to give you anything in writing - so just pay what you feel is owed.

If he wants the rest, he can try his luck in Court. But without a contract or quote, it will be hard for him

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That’s perfect thanks

All the best. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face at the top of the screen, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. It is also an important part of the online process. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you in advance and good luck!